Tatlin’s Tower or The Monument to the Third International is a grand monumental building envisioned by the Russian artist and architect Vladimir Tatlin, but never built.
It was planned to be erected in Petrograd (now St. Petersburg) after the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917, as the headquarters and monument of the Comintern (the third international).
|A model of Tatlin's tower, that shuold have been high 400m (more than Tour Eiffel)|
The tower's main form was a twin helix which spiraled up to 400 m in height; the main framework would contain four large suspended geometric structures.
These structures would rotate at different rates of speed.
At the base of the structure was a cube which was designed as a venue for lectures, conferences and legislative meetings, and this would complete a rotation in the span of one year (the slowest of the three structures). Above the cube would be a smaller pyramid housing executive activities and completing a rotation once a month. Further up would be a cylinder, which was to house an information centre, issuing news bulletins and manifestos via telegraph, radio and loudspeaker, and would complete a rotation once a day (the fastest of the three structures).